Thursday 4 May 2017

033 - Mt Barker (29/4/17)

To really put today into perspective, a little back story is required. When we started talking to the kids about the Big Trip with “serious tones” (i.e. once we had it locked in) we gave them the promise that we would all go to any place that they chose provided it was roughly on the path B and I had decided. I had thrown the Superpit at Kalgoorlie in there as an example, B chose Exmouth/Ningaloo with the whale sharks as her turn. We’re headed to Monkey Mia for Evie so she can see the dolphins. Sam is hedging his bets at this point, but I do recall a boat display in Fremantle coming up in conversation. But James threw us curveball. He randomly pointed at the map and said:

Mt Barker Dad. I want to go to Mt Barker”.

Mt Barker? Where hell is that? A quick check of our map on the kitchen wall found it just North of Albany. Now not wanting to go back on our word, B and I agreed to him we’d head to Mt Barker, thinking that he’d forget and pick something more touristy or iconic.

How wrong we were.

Over the months leading up to the trip, Mt Barker become a fixation in James’ mind and imagination. Any talk about going on the Big Trip always included a trip to Mt Barker. As time went on, it became very clear to B and I that we without a shadow of a doubt, were heading to Mt Barker.

And today, we took a day trip out to Mt Barker. And to James I think the entire family has this to say to him:

"Thank you James. Thank you so very much."

In what was almost a picture perfect family day, I don’t recall hardly a raised voice or telling off (comparatively) as we had a simply awesome day.

Up early, James led the charge out of the van and into the car. This was Christmas for him. And I still had no freakin’ idea why.

It’s only 50 odd kays across to Mt Barker so we got over there reasonably early, much before most of the “sleepy little country town” gets up on a Saturday. A quick look at the tourist map at the (closed) information centre gave us our itinerary. I must admit, I wasn’t that inspired just yet…

James ever so stoked to be in the town Mt Barker

First stop was the historic Police Station and Museum.

Rolling past it seemed that it was closed but we stopped to investigate anyhow. The sign said open Saturdays by appointment, which was disappointing as It was in fact Saturday (I had to check as I have lost track of the days a little over this trip). Still, it was an “open plan” type museum where buildings and the like were strewn around park land so we took the opportunity to roam anyhow and would put a little something in the donation box afterwards.

Shortly after however we were met with a lovely old lady, whose name unfortunately escapes me. I would assume it might have been Beryl, Mavis or Doris, but let’s call her Betty. I think it suits her.
Betty then took the next 2hrs out of her life to take us around the buildings and things on show the museum had to offer. She was informative and friendly, as well as excellent with the kids. I think the kids are now really getting an appreciation as to how previous generations lived and how good they have it! Sam and James were particularly unimpressed with how the boys had to sleep under the verandah out the back whilst the girls got their own room, albeit 3 to a bed.

This stop was another case of not expecting much from the outside, but being completely impressed by the attention to detail. And you can always gauge how good a spot with by the level at which Evie sooks when we announce it was time to leave. And Evie gave a right on sook about leaving here, so it must have been great!

At one point however I was quietly chuffed when Betty mentioned to me quietly that she was “really impressed with the way the kids ask questions and really think about the machines and displays”. Another measure that I don’t think the kids are sick of the huge amount of museums and excursions we’re taking them on!

We kicked in a little extra in the donation box, given how impressed we were, and Betty thanks us, remarking "ooh.. .that'll pay for a few more tins of paint. Thanks so much". It's nice to know contributions can make such a tangible difference too.

A highly recommended stopover. Like a scaled down version of Pioneer Settlement or Sovereign Hill.

The machinery shed. Some cool rigs in here, but plenty of sharp ends for often clutzy cart wheeling girls to catch themselves on. Big warnings in here...

Little to my knowledge, the region is the biggest apple producer in the country. Most of which end up offshore which is why most might not have seen many Mt Barker apples.

Any famous names here Dave?

Some of the older books on display. I recognised a few. At times it felt like I was stuck in an episode of Australian Pickers. Plenty of "rusty junk" that told a story and would look really good with a bit of TLC to give it a new life.

"Betty" and her followers.

Get out boys... this is the girls room!

Urrggh... another mannequin. What is it with these places and their incessant need to put a creepy fake person in them?

One of the early settlers houses, complete with hessian walls and creepy mannequin boy. Only mannequin little girls are creepier...

Schools in. Little did they know, school had been in the whole time we'd been walking around. Indirect teaching I call it.

Leaving there, it was time to take on the famous (or at least recommended multiple times) Mt Barker Bakery. A challenge I’m well skilled and trained for. And it didn’t disappoint. Can’t say I’ve ever had a Beef, Beer and Bacon Pie before, but it was pretty freakin’ good. B had some Chicken, Cranberry and Brie thing, which was good too, but a little sweet.

But the funniest thing was when Joe and Teresa just randomly parked their car in the carpark unannounced and joined us for lunch!! A brilliant surprise! Teresa quipped “I heard so much about Mt Barker from James we thought we better come and see it!”

Following on from there, it was time to visit ‘other’ Mount Barker, the actual mountain Mount Barker…

The best part of Mount Barker for me was the fact I could drive the car right up to the doorstep of the lookout without needing to take on another 1000 step walk.

James trying to spy Mt Barker as headed off. Sam reading... there's surprise

On top of Mt Barker is also a rather impressive communication tower which towered not only above us but across the countryside. The view from up there would have been daunting!

Finally made it. The lookout from Mt Barker! Anyone think James is happy with his choice.

The Telco Tower from the lookout. Quite a few Rock Trucks tall it is...

Thanks for giving us this view James. Mt Barker has a spectacular outlook.

Smiles all round. Someone pretty happy with his Mt Barker choice.

Pushing on from there we said goodbye to Mount Barker and heading across to Porongurup National Park to take on the Castle Rock Summit walk, including the Granite Skywalk we had picked up a brochure for.

Off we left, up the trail. Was quite the walk with a constant uphill grade pretty much all the way to the top. I suppose this is to be expected with a hill climb… At any rate, I’ve learnt our kids don’t like the hard steep starts based on the level of whinging from the two mountain goats. But with a little friendly goading and rib tickling they had once again fired up and scampered up ahead of us.

A little slower than usual to fire up... You're in trouble if Dad is setting the pace...

But in no time, legs were warm and the Mountain Goats took off...

I challenged the kids to try and push this rock over. Strangely, none took me up on the challenge.

Once getting to the top, walkers are offered either the “friendly” lookout or the “Granite Skywalk” which involves a bit of scrambling in and around the rocks to get to the summit. Hmm… I wonder what the kids wanted to choose?

 Boys clearly unimpressed by the Karri Lookout. They could see the skywalk above us... Evie... well... she was having a smiley moment.


Note the comment of being "uncomfortable with heights"... Duly ignored by B.

We were a little concerned about how the kids might handle it, if they’d be big enough or whether or not it was safe. Once again I shouldn’t have worried as they were far more suited to the “scrambling” that was required. I was not nearly as graceful as them, but still managed it. B, with her inbuilt fear of heights, struggled at times, but to her credit powered through, conquered her fears and got to the top much to the cheers and laughter of the other 4 of us.


Up we go...

This was taken on the way down, to prove the "scrambling" done. On the way up I went over it. I'm not sure which way I looked more uncomfortable doing it, but this felt safer that's for sure!

From there we were met with unprecedented views. Phenomenal. Awe-inspiring. Hell it was worth combining adjectives to make new words. Fatastibrilliant. Uncomparabling. Fantabulous. For me, equally impressive is how the hell they even built the Skywalk… I’m still not sure. I might need to do some googling. But considering it was free of charge, the value for money is second to none. 

Frenchmans Peak might just pip it as the most impressive so far as landscapes goes, but this lookout is by far the most impressive constructed viewpoint I’ve stood on. With perhaps the exception to the standing room only section of the MCG during the ’08 Grand Final. That was pretty cool…

Geez... I hope this landscape shot comes out... It was truly amazing.

To her credit, B made it. For someone so nervous of heights, she keeps going on these things as the opportunity arises. Nope... I'm not sure why either. :)

Along the skywalk one way...

...then back the other.

Concentrate Evie!!

Eventually we decided we better head down as the sun started to depart the sky. I mean, who would want to be stuck up a mountain in the dark with their kids….

A good stroll down in our usual formation with B and the big kids setting the pace and The Caboose and I trundling along talking about random things like people eating snakes and the smell of chocolate in cereal.

Towards the bottom we caught them as they slowed down so we could tell each other jokes that we knew. James’ “Knock Knock” jokes were the strangest but entertaining but Moo won the prize for the best (told whilst James and I were still playing catch up).

Evie – “Knock Knock”
B – “Who’s there?”
Evie – “Interupting fart”
B – “Interupting far….”
Evie – “Sssppplurrrt”

A very good joke at any rate, but even better as Evie was obviously holding in a ripper and timed it to perfection. I could hear B’s laughter from way up the hill.

That’s my girl.

And so with that, we jumped in the truck and headed homeward bound.

We all agreed that we loved Mt Barker and the day trip James had taken us on. It was far more entertaining than I expected.

It's actually a good lesson for all the family, and particularly B and I. What impresses one, or intrigues another, isn't always the same for all and sundry. James clearly wanted to go here and he was as happy as I've seen him all trip during this day. No swings. No playgrounds. No fishing. No TVs.

Just one boys fascination with a place called Mt Barker. It's a town and a mountain, you know.



6 comments:

  1. Brilliant M&B, just brilliant. So glad that James enjoyed his day so much and that it was informative & eduKashunal (!) for all! Never underestimate the little ones!
    You are still just under a week behind with your blogs, please catch up, Val & I can't wait for your daily blog, absolutely superb. Love to all, Nain a Tadcu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved the day.
      Yep... a week behind but that's all I can muster at the moment. Maybe if I can get a bit of a quiet moment, I'll catch up a bit more. But if I rush it, I'm sure I'll miss some detail. And I think Future Matt will thank me for it.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Tadcu - brilliant. B no doubt inspires the kids as she challenges herself. She has always been irrepressible! (I think that's​ a word). James has certainly put Mt. Barker on the map! Poss and Pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd be a rudderless ship without B Pop I can assure you.

      And yep... Bob as raised the profile of Mt Barker 10-fold!

      Delete
  3. Actually been there when the Information Centre was open, think we had to stay for a week in the caravan park, next to the Museum, that "Betty" showed you around. There was a huge lizard living under one of the buildings on the rear perimeter, he was out sunning himself
    If you had been there longer, the road on the other side of the Porongorups gives access to some nice walks
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Saw the CP there and thought it looked nice. We saw the other walks to the south of the Porongorups, but like we are finding with most things, time is against us. How can such a long trip be so short of time??

      Delete