Monday 9 January 2017

The Plan to not Plan

Many have asked us "so what's the plan?" Or "so where are you going?" Or "are you planning on going to (insert strangely named Australian locality)?" My personal favourite is "when are you going to be in (insert another strangely named Australian locality)?

Quite simply. We don't know.

Like no idea.

Honestly the only place I know I really need to be is Bathurst next October for the annual pilgrimage with my brothers. Other than that, no idea.

And I tell you, it's pretty weird. As most will know, I'm a 'reasonably' structured kind of person. Sure, I might have spreadsheets for our house budget. Maybe one (or two) to follow our mortgage. OK, so I might have one to track the fuel consumption of The Rock Truck. And yes, it is true that I have quite the spectacular Excel extravaganza to monitor my golfing scores (back when I actually played).

I like routine. I find it easier to manage. I like symmetry and straight lines over curves. I think it helps with the kids too, but I'm sure others could mount a case for spontaneity and randomness on that front as well.

So when the trip was becoming a reality, naturally we (sorry, I) busted out a spreadsheet, got out google maps and thought here we go! B and I sat down to start lining up places to go and a rough timeline, consider travel times, school holidays, daylight savings, wind direction,  airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow and other important factors.

And all of sudden we just look at each other and frowned.

This didn't seem right. It didn't feel right.

What if we got somewhere we loved and wanted to stay for a week and explore? How could we do that if we had to be 400km down the road to meet our next booking? Alternatively, what if we booked in for a week because it was a "must see" and find that it didn't suit us?

So then we discussed the idea of, wait for it..... not having a plan?!??!? Oh sweet baby Jesus.... could we, could I... actually do that. Part of me was going:


But the more we thought about it, the more it made sense. And I heard it more like this:



So when people ask "what's the plan" I simply answer "head down to the highway, turn right (that's West) and that's it".

A plan to not plan.


Don't get me wrong, we'll have a rough outline from perhaps week to week, but nothing long term. Maybe something locked in around a long weekend here or there. But really, we'll just seem what comes.

And I tell you.... it's refreshingly and positively nerve-wracking. In a good way. A very good way.



2 comments: